Club History 

An exciting future built on the firm foundations of our past

Located in south Dorset, just a few miles north of the county's beautiful coastline and the bustling towns of Bournemouth and Poole, Ferndown Golf Club was founded in 1912 and opened for play a year later.

Cutting across a sandy outcrop of heathland, the course's fairways were skilfully navigated  through handsome pine woods and heath. Much of the 'rough' was left as heather, making it highly attractive to look at but highly challenging to recover from.

The renowned 18-hole ‘Old Course' was designed by Harold Hilton, the Open Champion in 1892 and 1897 and the only British amateur golfer to win the British and US Amateur titles in the same year (1911). Harold lay the foundations for what was to become one of the top 100 golf Clubs in the UK.

In 1969 the ‘Alliss Course’ (Previously referred to as the Presidents Course until it was renamed by Peter Alliss in 2015 in memory of the Alliss Family's long connection with the club) was constructed and launched to complement the 'Old Course' and consists of 9-holes, although it can be played as 18-holes. This superb addition to the Club was designed by Mr J Hamilton Stutt, a founder member and past Chairman of the British Association of Golf Course Architects. He had previously worked alongside Mackenzie Ross on such well-known courses as Turnberry – Ailsa Course, and St Mellion.

From Hiltons to Perfection 

A History of Ferndown Golf Club

The inspiration of this book was the celebration of Ferndown Golf Club's Centenary Year in 2013. Philip Richards presents a detailed and illustrated 296 page history of the Golf Club in those 100 years starting with the purchase of a barren piece of heathland by a group of enthusiasts in 1913. 

Harold Hilton soon achieved great success as the course architect - the layout of the Old Course today is very much as he conceived it all those years ago. The Club survived The First World War and two bankruptcies in its first 16 years of existence before establishing itself as a highly successful club in the 1930's. After The Second World War the Club continued to flourish until it was eventually bought out by the members in 1966. 

It's fame grew under the Professionals Percy Alliss and Doug Sewell, as well as with its association with Peter Alliss who regards Ferndown Golf Club as a spiritual home. In the latter part of the Twentieth Centuary Ferndown hosted major international tournaments such as The Hennessy Cognac Cup, The Weetabix Womens British Open and the De Vere Hotels European Tour Seniors Classic. 

You can purchase your copy of the book for just £20

Call today on 01202 653 953